Juicing and smoothies are certainly not new news. I’ve been getting my smoothie on for a long time now! My mum on the other hand just became a member of the smoothie gang. A little late to the party but she got there in the end 😉 On a recent visit back home, my mum invested in a NutriBullet as she wanted a really convenient way to get more fruits and veggies into her day. My mum made all the classic smoothie mistakes.. Resulting in lots of brown suspicious tasting smoothies. Thanks mum, but no thanks!
Here’s my top tips for all smoothie and juice newbies…
- Less is more.. don’t empty the soggy contents of your vegetable drawer into your blender and hope to make a delicious drink. Think about flavour combinations that work and only use a few different fruit / veggies in each blend.
- Go to a juice / smoothie bar and use their menu for inspiration for your home blends. They will have tested their juices and smoothies to make delicious drinks. Many of them post theit menu’s online so you don’t even have to leave your house.
- Think about the colour – nobody wants a brown smoothie! Berries + greens usually makes brown..
- Always PEEL CITRUS! This is a mistake you will only make once.. Yep I’ve done this..
- Buy organic fruits and veggies – then there is no need to peel them. Most of the nutrients are often found in the skin of fruits and veggies. Just give them a wash in some clean water and they’re good to go.
- Juice vs smoothie..? Both are great, the only difference being that the fibre is removed from the juice. I find juices are better for a quick pick me up as they are digested much faster, whereas smoothies are better at keeping you full for longer as they are full of fibre.
Whether you’re new or old to blending delicious drinks here’s three recipes that you’re sure to love..
To make all of these delicious drinks simply throw the ingredients into your juicer or blender and enjoy!
Questions for you…
- What’s your favourite fruit / veggie combo?
- Do you prefer juicing or smoothies?
- Have you have any juice related disasters?!